Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Imitating a Fae Queen by Joanna Reeder

 


They say I look just like her.
They say I could save the realm if I pretend to be her.
But I’m just a human girl and can’t leave my life to save their precious Raven Court.

My boyfriend, Sterling, might be a fae, but I want nothing to do with Faerie. Luckily, he promised never to take me. But when his painfully gorgeous brother, Tien, shows up and says I look identical to their missing High Queen, I’m asked to go with him to prevent Faerie from sinking into chaos.

When I refuse, I’m kidnapped.

As I’m forced through the portal to Faerie by the brooding Tien, he promises my captivity is only temporary. If I can convince the Raven Court their beloved queen is alive and well, he’ll take me back home. But while I’m pretending to be her, dark secrets surface. I try not to care, but realize I might have the power to change an injustice that suddenly means so much to me... even as a fake queen.

Faerie is magical and cruel, full of wonder and madness. But it isn’t my home. And yet, it feels so familiar…

Torn between two different worlds, I’m forced to consider: where do I truly belong?


At first, I wasn't sure what to think of this book. When it started, it seemed like there was a first book that I had missed out on and I kept flipping back to the beginning to make sure I was really at the beginning. But, as the story progressed, we find out that there is a really good reason that the book appears to start abruptly. After that, the story picked up and took me on quite a wild ride. I loved the world-building and the character development. The introduction of Tien was my favorite part. I don't usually like a love triangle, but this one was subtle and not too angsty, so I was ok with it.

The story was unique and wasn't just a retelling of tired and overdone fae stories. Even though it was YA, and I'm less of a fan of YA, the story didn't feel young or whiny or underdeveloped. I'm really exited to see where the rest of the series goes. 

I received an ARC and am voluntarily leaving a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment